Search This Blog

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Start....


(TYLOR & COLE)


Finally, we've found a place to showcase our dedication to brewing beer and cooking gourmet food! Here is a little background for Me(Cole):
I've been brewing small batches of beer since I was a Senior in high school. I started cooking when I was eight, even before I managed to burn half of my parents kitchen down. I'm now a Senior in college that has experienced internship opportunities for leading craft-breweries. In 2008, I assisted the Brewmaster at Prison Brews(Jefferson City, Mo), where I got a taste of brewing on a pub-size scale. In 2009, I was picked to intern with Dogfish Head Craft Brewery(Milton, DE);http://www.dogfish.com/. Here I was shown basic tasks of a mid-production brewery(100,000+ BBL's/yr). This Summer I put to work my previous experience at Long Trail Brewing Co.(Bridgewater Corners, VT);http://longtrail.com/
Tylor and I both have the desire to start a brewpub some day and this is the place to show our progress. My goal is to have at least four beers on tap at all times and to cook one dish a week this entire school year. I also want to enter my homebrew into the National Homebrew Competition next spring.

Beers,
Cole

Cole and I have decided to start this blog not only as a place to express our passion for food and drink, but as a foundation to begin building towards our ambitions and goals. We hope this blog proves helpful and entertaining for our readers and is the first stop to successful career in food. Now, the 411 on the other half of this blog.

I've been cooking for as long as I can remember. I come from a very large family which is still very much in touch with its Italian heritage. I was never taught how to cook. I learned by watching my father prepare dinner in the kitchen, helping out with different tasks on occasion. Both of my parents worked during the day so I would be home by myself after school or during the summer until late afternoon. If I was hungry, it was up to me to make something. Trial and error would be the best way to describe how I learned to cook. After a handful of fires, a few cuts, and a lot of terrible combinations, I became obsessed with food. I worked at the Star Dinner Theatre for 5 years where I learned the in's and out's of the restaruant and catering business. The kitchen was run by a mother and her daughter. Yelling matches often erupted during the middle of service between the two and I was often dragged into the middle of them. I loved every second of that job and I'll never forget my time there. I spent three years of my college career studying Chemical Engineering and doing research. After careful consideration I changed my major to Food Science. Sophomore year I met Cole and we have been good friends since. He introduced me to the wonderful world of Brewing and I've been hooked ever since. Cole and I plan on taking our hobbies to the next level and open our own brewpub. Soon we will be posting recipes for food, beer, and wine. We will also upload pictures and video to go along with the recipes. Please post your own recipes for us to try and any helpful hints you may have.

Bon appetit,
Tylor

1 comment:

  1. I am starting a brewery in Columbia. Start date is Jan-Feb 2012. would like to talk to you. email me at mat9803@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete